Home History Information Libraries Services Admin renewal

History

    Tamilnadu Government have promulgated public Library Act in 1948, According to the act a committee named Local Library Authority, Coimbatore was constituted in August 1950. Thiru C.M.Rama Chandran Chettiar(Kovai kizhar) was elected as chairman of the committee.

    The District Central Library, Coimbatore commenced to render its service to the public since 1.6.1952 at “Victoria Town Hall” Building. Due to development its has been shifted to Gandhi Memorial Library Building at V.O.C park Coimbatore during the Middle of 1956.

    The Library was subsequently shifted to the existing building situated in No.50 Cowly Brown Road, R.S.Puram Coimbatore. It is a multistoried Building having carpet area of nearly 21453 sq.feet. The Library is surrounded by Avinashilingam Deemed University, Forest College, Government College of Technology, Agricultural University, Law College and Bharathiyar University New Building opened on 6 th June 1987.

    It serves the General Public of all Category especially the elite society living all the District Activities of the Library are designed to facilitate use of resources to guide the readers to achieve their object stimulates the public to cultivate increase reading habits.

HIGHLIGHTS

1948

Public Library Act.

1950
Local Library Authority constituted.
1952
District Central Library Commenced in Victoria Town Hall Building
1956
Shifted to Gandhi memorial Library building at VOC park coimbatore .
1981
Foundation stone laid New Library Building at 50 Cowley Brown Road, RS Puram, Coimbatore-641002.
1987

New Building Inauguration.

1994

Civil Service and Competitive Exam circle open.

1994
Xerox Facilities Introduced.
2001
Computer Unit Installed.
2001
Selected as the Best District central Library in South Zone.
2001
Rajaram mohanroy library foundation awarded by calcutta.
2005
Internet Browsing Centre opened.
2006
Barcode Introduced.
History | Information | Libraries | Services | Admin | Renewal