Public, Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service, Indian Forest Service, General Administration, District Revenue Officers, Police and Home, Public Works, Irrigation including Minor Irrigation, Programme Works, Highways and Minor Ports
Secretary to Government
K. Manivasan, IAS ( Principal Secretary to Government )
The Public Works Department is divided into two wings viz., the Water Resources Department and the Buildings Organisation.
Public Works Department is one of the oldest Service Departments of the Government, serving for the past 153 years in the construction and maintenance of Government Buildings. Many buildings and monuments stand as testimony to our engineering skill. The organization marches towards better service delivery to the people by adopting to the present day trend of egovernance. The Department is taking all efforts for better service delivery with this long term vision. The Buildings Organisation provides structural safety to all public buildings adopting latest technology and following specifications of Indian Standard Code. All the Monuments and Heritage buildings under the control of Government are being protected by PWD by keeping their Architectural, Aesthetic, Historic, archeological and prominent symbolic values. This department has long term vision for quality service for safe and purposeful public buildings at reasonable cost adopting best evolved practices and advanced modern technologies.
The Public Works Department Buildings Organization constructs and maintains buildings of various Government Departments like School Education, Health and Family Welfare, Home (Judicial, Transport, Prison, Fire and Rescue), Revenue, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Tourism and Art Culture Department, Labour and Employment and Social Welfare Department. Public Works Department provides quality services for Safe Government buildings at reasonable cost utilizing modern technologies and experience attained through years of practice. Public Works Department follows the designs and specifications stipulated in the Indian Standard Codes.
Public Works Department performs the following major activities and functions-
1) Planning, designing, construction and maintenance of Government Buildings which constitute capital assets of the State.
2) Construction and maintenance of Monuments and Memorials under purview of the Government.
3) Execution of Local Area Development Scheme works sanctioned under MLAs’ and MPs’ funds as deposit works.
4) Execution of any calamity reconstruction works like Emergency Tsunami Reconstruction Project building works.
5) Renovation and restoration of heritage buildings.
6) Construction of buildings for Central Government Undertakings, State Universities etc., as deposit works.
7) Carrying out Research and Development in construction materials and practices.
8) Valuation of buildings was done based on the requests of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Department and Judiciary.
9) Assessment of structural stability of public buildings and issuance of rent reasonableness certificate for private buildings used by Government departments.
Public Works Department is one of the oldest Service Departments of the Government, serving in the construction field and maintenance of Irrigation Structures for the past 153 years. Many dams stand as a testimony to our engineering skill. The organization marches towards better service delivery to the people by adopting to the present day trend of e-governance. The concept of artificial recharge, better water management, restoration of water bodies, water users participation in the projects to derive maximum benefit is well understood. The department is working very hard to realise maximum irrigation efficiency. The necessity for intra-linking of rivers for diversion of flood water and enhancing the storage capacity of water bodies to provide adequate water for irrigation, drinking and other purposes have been well taken. The Department is taking all efforts for better service delivery with this long term vision.
Contact Particulars of Heads of Departments and Undertakings