Public, Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service, Indian Forest Service, General Administration, District Revenue Officers, Police and Home, Public Works, Irrigation including Minor Irrigation, Programme Works, Highways and Minor Ports
The Public Department which functions under the direct control of the Chief Secretary deals with important matters concerning the General Administration of the State.
Some of the important subjects handled by the Public Department are-
a.Assumption of Office by His Excellency the Governor- Establishment of Governor’s Household etc.
b.Appointment of Hon’ble Ministers and related matters.
c.Establishment matters relating to Office of the Hon’ble Chief Minister and Hon’ble Ministers.
d.Arrangements for Cabinet Meetings.
e.Protocol arrangements relating to visits of VVIPs, VIPs and other Dignitaries.
f.Matters related to the Aviation Wing of the Government.
g.Matters of common interest between Central and State Governments including National Integration Council, Inter-State Council and Southern Zonal Council.
h.Liaison with Ministry of External Affairs and Foreign Consulates.
i.Postings of I.A.S. Officers and District Revenue Officers and their establishment matters.
j.Law and Order issues including Constitution of Commissions of Inquiry.
k.State Human Rights Commission.
l.Administration of State Guest House and Government Rest House in Chennai Tamizhagam Guest House in Udhagamandalam and Tamil Nadu House and Additional Tamil Nadu House in New Delhi.
m.Welfare of Ex-Servicemen and their families and administration of Tamil Nadu Ex-Servicemen Corporation. (TEXCO).
n.Providing relief measures and basic amenities to Sri Lankan Tamil Refugees accommodated in Camps.
o.Matters relating to Internally Displaced Tamils in Sri Lanka, through Government of India.
p.Grant of pension and implementation of Welfare Schemes to the Freedom Fighters and Ex.INA personnel.
q.Declaration of Public and Local Holidays.
s.Processing and disposal of petitions presented to the Hon’ble Chief Minister through Chief Minister’s Special Cell.
2. Apart from the above, this department makes arrangements for the celebration of national functions, such as Independence Day and Republic Day. Arrangements are made for administering pledge on special days announced by the Government of India such as Martyrs Day, Anti-Terrorism Day, National Integration Day, etc. at the Army Parade ground in Secretariat.
3. This department sends recommendations to Government of India for Central Government’s Gallantry awards. The work relating to choosing of recipients of Awards such as Anna Medal, Kottai Ameer Award for Communal Harmony, Kalpana Chawla Award and other state awards are also taken up by this department.
4. Collectors’ and Police Officers’ Conference under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Chief Minister to review the Law and Order situation and implementation of various welfare schemes are conducted by this department under the direct supervision of Chief Secretary.
5. This department deals with matters relating to extension of stay in India for all Foreigners (except Pakistan and Bangladesh Nationals) who come to Tamil Nadu. In case of Sri Lankan Nationals, staying in Tamil Nadu, extension of stay in India is granted only after obtaining the orders of Government of India.
6. Exit permission to those Foreigners who desire to leave India is also granted by this Department. Further this Department issues Deportation Orders / Leave India Notice to the Foreigners who indulge in anti-social activities or violate visa rules or who come to adverse notice, after obtaining concurrence from the Government of India. This Department also looks after works relating to authentication of Certificates pertaining to those who desire to go abroad for higher studies or job, after verifying the genuineness from the issuing authorities.
7.The State Human Rights Commission has been constituted by the Government of Tamil Nadu under section 21 of Protection of Human Rights Act 1993, and is functioning from 17.04.1997. The Commission consists of Law Division, Investigation Division and Administration Division. Complaints of violation of human rights may be filed to the commission in any language, without fee, in writing by the victim or any one on his behalf.
Contact Particulars of Heads of Departments and Undertakings