In the year 1741, the Marathas invaded Tiruchirapalli and took Chanda Saheb as captive. However, Chanda Saheb was able to secure freedom in the year 1748, and soon got involved in the Great War for the Nawab`s place in the Carnatic against Anwardeen, the Nawab of Arcot and his son Mohammed Ali. Mohamed Ali annexed the two palayams of Udayarpalayam and Ariyalur situated within the present district of Ariyalur on the grounds of default in payment of tributes and failure to help him in suppressing the rebellion of Yusuf Khan. In the month of November 1764, Mohamed Ali represented the issue to Madras Council and received military assistance on the 3rd of January 1765. The forces led by Donald Campbell and Umdat-Ul-Umara entered Ariyalur and captured it and the young Poligar with his followers escaped to Udayarpalayam. On the 19th of January, the army marched towards Udayarpalayam. The troops of Poligar were defeated and the palayams were occupied. The two poligars fled away and took refuge in Tharangampadi, which was then a Danish settlement. The annexation of the palayam gave the Navab an undisputed possession of all his territories extending Arcot to Tiruchirappalli.
One of the major tourist attractions in the district of Perambalur is the Ranjankudi Fort which attracts a large number of tourists from different parts of the state as well as from other portions of the country throughout the year. There are also several temples which serve as some of the best places of pilgrimage where devotees and also general tourists visit. The Siruvachur Madura Kaliamman temple at Siruvachur in Perambalur taluk is one of the most popular shrines in the district. The main annual festival at this temple commences in the last week of Panguni. The Car festival is celebrated in the first week of Chithirai. Other temples of importance in this district are the Ancient Arulmigu Ekambareswar and Thandayuthapani Temples. These temples are situated in the Chettikulam Village. These temples were constructed by King Kulasekara Pandian, about eight hundred years ago. These two temples are located at a distance of twenty two kilometers from Perambalur and eight kilometers to the west of Alathurgate on Trichy-Chennai National Highway.