green
merron
blue
brown
Blue

You are here

Cuddalore
Particulars
Description
Area
3,678 Sq. k.m. sq.kms
Population
26,05,914
District Head Quarters
Cuddalore
Language
Tamil
Website
History And Geography

This district is a primitive one. History of the systematic administration of the Land Revenue of erstwhile South Arcot District begins with the acquisition from the Nawab in 1801, when Captain Graham was appointed to take charge of the district lying between Palar and Portonovo rivers and become the first Collector South Arcot. In Indian Puranas, this district is described as part of Sri Rama Kshetra. Historic evidences reveal that the name `Arcot` was derived from Tamil `Aaru kadu`, which means six forests which was said to be the abode of six rishis. In the year 1808, however Arcot, Vellore, Thiruvathur, Polur, and Arani Jagir were transferred to North Arcot and Wandiwash to Cheingleput. In 1816, Puducherry was finally restored to the French and erstwhile South Arcot assumed practically its position. The present Cuddalore District has been formed on 30th September, 1993.

Education

The literacy rate is in a higher position here in Cuddalore District. There is one university present in the district whereas there are around eight arts and science colleges, near about one medical college, around four engineering colleges and one agricultural college. Nearly 1245 primary schools are also present in the district. Further, there are around nine teacher-training colleges present in Cuddalore District.

Tourism

There are several tourist spots present in Cuddalore District. Tourism in Cuddalore District offers visits to several religious as well as historical sites. Natrajar Temple, Padaleeswarar Temple, Devanatha Swami Temple and Bhuvaraha Swami Temple are some of the main tourist sites of this district.