Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Department
Public, Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service, Indian Forest Service, General Administration, District Revenue Officers, Police and Home,Finance Planning, Legislative Assembly Elections and Passports , Personnel and Administrative Reforms Personnel and Administrative Reforms (Training)
Secretary to Government
S.Krishnan IAS ( ( Principal Secretary (Planning and Development), OSD Fourteenth Finance Commission and Special Initiatives (Full Additional Charge) ) )
Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Department is primarily responsible for the State’s Plan preparations, Monitoring and Review of expenditures in State Plan Schemes, Poverty Alleviation Programmes, Twenty Point Programme and the Centrally Sponsored Schemes. The Department coordinates with various Government departments for this objective and as the administrative department, draws on the expertise of the State Planning Commission (SPC), Department of Economics and Statistics (DOES), and Department of Evaluation and Applied Research (DEAR).
The department performs coordination functions for new areas in Government and takes up design and implementation of special, innovative multidisciplinary projects and policies including the Chennai Metro Rail Project of its Special Initiatives Wing.
The main activities of the Department include
1. Preparation of Five Year Plans and Annual Plans and liaison with the Union Planning Commission.
2. Preparation of perspective plan, mid-term review of five year plan, assessment of development indicators, and evaluation of major plan schemes. Stewards studies on formulation and implementation of specific programmes including natural resource assessments of land and water use in the State.
3. Monitoring and Review of Plan Schemes, Twenty Point Programme, Centrally Sponsored Schemes, and Schemes shared between State and Centre
4. Monitoring and Review of progress in major infrastructure projects
5. Coordination activities in Special Projects involving several Government departments and agencies such as the Development and Use of Remote Sensing Geographic Information Systems Applications. In the past, the department has taken the lead in computerisation and in formulating the State’s approach to World Trade Organisation Policy and domestic impacts
6. Collection, compilation and dissemination of statistical data from public and private data sources including State Income Estimates, Economic Census, Agricultural Census, Special Surveys, and Monthly Reports on the State’s economy
7. Evaluation of Plan Schemes, Centrally Sponsored Schemes and Externally Aided Projects
8. Special or New Project Design and Implementation of schemes such as the Hill Area Development Programme and Western Ghats Development Programme
9. Initiating Metro Rail Project under Special Initiatives wing and
10. Facilitating the operations of the State Planning Commission, Department of Economics and Statistics, and the Department of Evaluation and Applied Research.
Contact Particulars of Heads of Departments and Undertakings