Thiru K.P. Anbalagan
Higher Education including Technical Education, Electronics, Science and Technology.
Thiru A. Karthik, IAS (Secretary to Government (Full Additional Charge))
Phone : 25670499
E-mail : hrsec(at)tn.gov.in
Education especially Higher Education builds capacity in our people. It enables people not merely to subsist, but also provides the basis for a high quality of life. This is the aim of the modern Human Resources Development Index based approach of rating nations. It is an important underpinning of the Millennium Development Goals.
The vision of the Government of Tamil Nadu in the realm of Higher Education is to make institutions of higher education emerge as centres of innovation, excellence and development. The major focus is on Quality.The mission is to provide world class quality education, while opening the portals of higher education to students from rural and backward areas and marginalized families. The aim is to develop, recognize and enhance talent and skills in our youth, to equip and enable them to meet the emerging challenges and demands of the century. The emphasis is also on inclusion in higher education.
The Mission Statement of the department
To promote Human Resources Development through self-actualised
Institutions, producing high quality ethical professionals in sufficient
number to make this State and Country prosperous and to make
Tamil Nadu a global hub for University Education.
This vision translates into the following objectives
1) To provide and improve the quality of Higher Education in Arts and Science and in Technical Education
2) To achieve Higher Education Gross Enrolment Ratio of 25 percent by 2025.
3)To provide infrastructure facilities for the development of Colleges
4) To impart education by World Class pedagogy.
5) To implement E-Governance in the Administration.
6)To facilitate institution-industry linkage for inculcating entrepreneurial culture and encouraging Research and Development.
7) To promote inclusive Socio-Economic Development of the State by offering Higher Education to the students who belong to weaker sections of society.
8) To popularise Science and Technology among people
9)To produce degree holders of international quality for a global job market