Frequently Asked Questions


How do children come to the Placement Agencies?

Many children are abandoned in the hospitals or in the street corners for various reasons. These children are referred to as "abandoned children", whereas in certain cases, the mother surrenders her child due to various reasons. In these cases, the child is referred to as "surrendered child". Any placement agency will have both the abandoned or surrendered children. In the case of surrender of a child, the parents willing to surrender should execute a document as Free Will under no compulsion to surrender the child. The surrendered document is executed on a stamped paper in the presence of two responsible witnesses.

In the case of a destitute and abandoned child, special courts called Juvenile Welfare Board or Child Welfare Committee have to give its clearance that the child is legally free for adoption. Only after getting the clearance from the Juvenile Welfare Board, destitute and abandoned children could be adopted.

Who can adopt?

A Hindu Male who is over 21 years of age and of sound mind, may adopt. But, if he is married, he can adopt only with the consent of his wife.

A  Hindu female, who is unmarried, divorced or widowed and is over 21 years of age and is of sound mind, may adopt a child.

Who may be adopted?

Any child, who has not been already adopted, can be adopted.

What are the legal provisions for adoption?

All Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists and Jains can adopt under The Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act,1956, whereas all others can take the guardianship of children under The Guardians and Wards Act,1890.

What should I do to adopt a child?

Apply to your nearest licensed agency whose addresses have been given under the heading "Agencies" or to the Voluntary Co-ordinating Agency at No.5, 3rd Main Road, West Shenoy Nagar, Chennai-40.

How much do I have to pay for adopting a child?

No fee is charged for giving a child in adoption. However, you may have to pay a nominal sum which the licensed agency might have incurred for keeping the child in their institution. However, this fee also will be fixed by the Court of Law.

How much time will it take for me to adopt a baby?

In order to have a full-fledged legal adoption, there are certain procedures to be followed which have been detailed under the heading "How to adopt". These procedures may take up to alteast 3 months till you finally bring your baby home.

In case of any difficulty, whom should I contact?

You may contact the Adoption Cell in the Directorate of Social Welfare, Government of Tamil Nadu for necessary help and assistance. 

The address of the Directorate 

Director - Social Welfare
Directorate of Social Welfare
Old Engineering College Complex
Chepauk, Chennai -600 005
Ph:- +91-44-28545745, +91-44-28545748, +91-44-28545728